- Black tea -- loose, tea sachets
- Cinnamon sticks
- Cardamom pods
- Whole Cloves
- Star anise
- Black peppercorns
- Ground nutmeg
- Ground ginger
- Vanilla extract
Make chai concentrate
- Everything but the milk and vanilla extract is put into a saucepan and simmered. Crush whole spices to it quicker to brew.
- The solids are strained out, the vanilla extract is added, and you’ve got yourself a chai concentrate. Let the concentrate cool and chill in the refrigerator for about an hour.
- If you’re in a rush, you can drop in some ice cubes to cool it down. Although by adding more water, you’ll dilute the concentrate a bit.
- I use this ratio: one part chai concentrate to one part milk.
- Pour chai halfway into a glass with ice and add milk.